Candied Walnut and Apple Salad with Bleu Cheese
This Candied Walnut and Apple Salad with Bleu Cheese is one of my favorite salads to eat. The crisp, crunchy, and creamy textures really work together. See what i did there? Alliterationed. And who doesn’t like apples and cheese together? Check out the recipe below:
1 head of romaine lettuce
2 cups candied walnuts
1 cup bleu cheese
2 apples, chopped into bite sizes
Sweet Garlic Vinaigrette
1. Chop the head of romaine and place into a salad bowl.
2. Cut apples into bite sizes and place on top of the romaine.
3. Add the bleu cheese and walnuts to the mix. Pour the desired amount of vinaigrette on the salad, and toss.
You will find recipes for the vinaigrette and candied walnuts below.
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
a pinch of salt
2 cups walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease a cookie sheet.
3. Add all ingredients to a bowl and mix.
4. Pour the walnuts on the cookie sheet, spread evenly.
5. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until the sugar has solidified. You may want to flip the nuts halfway through baking.
6. Remove and let cool before you serve. We don’t like wilty lettuce.
Sweet Garlic Vinaigrette:
This is a family recipe. My grandmother got this recipe from her friend Eileen Steinbrenner.
1/2 tablespoon sugar
1 tsp salt
1/8 tsp garlic powder
pinch of pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
Mix well. 1 teaspoon of cream as an emulsifier, optional.
Salad (4 servings):
Cal: 341 Fat: 16.3g Carbs: 39.4g Protein: 12.1g
Dressing: serving is 1 tablespoon (about 20)
Cal: 43 Fat: 2.5g Carbs: 5.3g Protein: 0.1g
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.