Something about the summer brings on our desire to eat lighter foods. The heat can definitely dampen your appetite, and leave you wanting less. It’s also a time to enjoy the outdoors, which means…pick-nicks! These spring rolls are a lighter dish that’s easy to transport. They are also perfect for appetizers, pot lucks, and regular ol’ dinner. With all those healthy veggies and a great serving of protein, this dish is also very satisfying. You’ve got to give this one a try!
Make sure you serve these guys with our spicy peanut sauce!
- 1 lb grilled chicken breast, sliced
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into long, thin strips
- 3 celery ribs, cut into long, thin strips
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into long, thin strips
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 – 3 green onion, chopped
- You will need a bowl of hot tap water.
- Submerge the rice paper in the hot tap water for 3 – 5 minutes.
- Place on a cutting board – the rice paper will hydrate and become pliable.
- This recipe makes 10 rolls, so grab one tenth of each ingredient and lay it in the middle of the rice paper.
- Gently cover the ingredients with the rice paper that is closest to you.
- Next, fold both sides in toward the middle.
- Roll the ingredients toward the end, as if rolling an egg roll.
- Push any stragglers back in to the roll as you go.
- Be careful not the fill the roll too full, or the rice paper will tear.
- Repeat 9 more times.
Picnic, dinner, after work appetizer, or “other”? Let us know in the comments section!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.