Healthy Banana Bread
Banana bread is a magical comfort food that reminds me of my childhood with particular nostalgia. It was a coveted treat that was not readily available for little hands to get a hold of. But once you did get your hands on it, it was an amazing thing. Warm banana bread right out of the oven with butter melting into every nook and cranny was the dream.
However, children’s metabolisms work a lot faster than adults, and if we adults are not careful, instead of disappearing too fast, the banana bread that we eat might stick around in a form that is not welcome. This healthier version of a classic treat is perfect for a breakfast full of protein and just the right amount of calories.
Healthy Banana Bread
1 cup (unbleached) white flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
4 ripe bananas
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
3/4 cup Greek yogurt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup pecans
1. Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
2. Mash the bananas and mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
3. Chop the pecans.
4. Fold wet and dry ingredients together with the pecans. Be careful not to over-mix.
5. Add the batter to a greased 9×5 loaf pan.
6. Bake at 325 for 55-65 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
414 Calories, 11.9g fat, 70.8g carbohydrates. 8.7g protein
- 1 cup (unbleached) white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 ripe bananas
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup pecans
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a medium sized bowl.
- Mash the bananas and mix the wet ingredients together in a separate bowl.
- Chop the pecans.
- Fold wet and dry ingredients together with the pecans. Be careful not to over-mix.
- Add the batter to a greased 9×5 loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 for 55-65 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean.
Do you eat Banana Bread for breakfast, or dessert? Let us know in the comments!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.