Homemade Salsa and Guacamole for Cinco de Mayo
How do you have the BEST Cinco de Mayo EVER? How do you eat the tastiest salsa and guacamole you’ve ever had? You make the salsa and guacamole yourself with fresh ingredients, that’s how! Once you’ve made homemade salsa and guacamole, it’s pretty hard to go back to eating the store bought stuff, especially my husband’s salsa and guacamole. A Sol and some salsa and guacamole make for the perfect combination for a great summer Friday afternoon. How do you eat your salsa and guacamole? Let us know in the comments section!
Recipe and awesome how to pictures below:
2 pounds Roma tomatoes
1 large onion
1 red bell pepper
the juice and zest of 2 limes
1/2 cup cilantro
1 tablespoon cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
2 tablespoons salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Chop all vegetables, cilantro, and lime zest, and add to bowl.
2. Add the rest of the ingredients.
3. Stir well. You have salsa.
8 Servings, serving size: 163g, 70 calories, 41.g fat, 8.2g carbs (4.5g sugar), 1.7g protein
juice and zest of one lime
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon jalapeno
3 tablespoons cilantro
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1. *This will really really help keep the avocados from browning: add the zest and juice of one lime to your bowl.
2. Add two diced avocados.
3. Using a potato masher or pastry blender, mash the avocados until they are fairly smooth. Then add 1 more diced avocado.
4. Continue to mash until just slightly chunky.
5. Add the last avocado. Use the masher to incorporate, leaving the last avocado slightly chunky. Add spices, onion, salt, cilantro, jalapeno, and anything I left off this list, and stir together. You now have Guacamole.
8 Servings, serving size 105g, 163 calories, 14.8g fat, 8.9g carbs, 2.1g protein
Try out these very tasty very easy recipes, and let us know what you think! We hope you have a great and safe Cinco de Mayo! Until next week, SPFers, stay happy and healthy!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.
7 thoughts on “Homemade Salsa and Guacamole for Cinco de Mayo”
Oh boy! I LOVE your recipes! PINNED for future reference! this looks A-mazing!
Thanks Lea! I really appreciate that. 🙂 Hope you like it!
Oh my goodness, guacamole is like my most favorite thing EVER!
Mine too! The lime zest in this recipe is awesome. 🙂
Love salsa! I wish I could grab the bowl from the screen.