I am so fricken excited to share this recipe with you today that I can’t hardly stand it! Jeff and I recently watched Les Miserables again, and we are still in awe of what an amazing movie/musical it is. This is the second installment of, and fourth recipe we have created for our “Nerd Food” Category. Get ready to see a whole lot more coming your way for two reasons: 1. It’s fun. 2. We are nerds. (In case you don’t remember our first nerd recipes, check out our Nerd Food page!)
Back to the nerd food at hand. This popcorn is spicy, it’s herby, and it’s red, white, and blue (the color of France’s flag in honor of Les Mis.) If you haven’t seen Les Mis, stop reading and go rent it/watch it right now! If you’re still reading and still haven’t watched it, Angry Men is a lyric from the song “Do You Hear the People Sing.” The red is represented by the spicy herb butter. The white is represented by the popcorn “meat.” The blue is represented by the midnight blue popcorn we used in this recipe. You can use regular popcorn if you like. If you haven’t tried different colored popcorn before, I strongly recommend it, because it does taste a bit different. We’ve been tweaking and perfecting this recipe for a long time, and it truly is addicting! Enjoy at your own risk.
Les Mis: Popcorn of Angry Men (Spicy Herb Popcorn)
- 10 cups popped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan.
- Add the seasonings and cook in the butter until the seasonings are fully cooked. You will be able to tell by the smell.
- Add Frank’s Red hot to the mixture. Stir.
- Once the mixture has come together, about a minute, add, hot, to the popcorn and stir thoroughly.
What’s your favorite part of the movie? Let us know in the comments section!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.