Pork Barbacoa and 2015 Crock Pot Giveaway
We are continuing our 2015 Christmas giveaway with a delicious Pork Barbacoa cooked in the crock pot. This recipe reminds me of Cafe Rio. If you’ve never been to a Cafe Rio, I am sad for you, because it is so delicious. We’ve made a slaw to top these tasty tacos. (Like my alliteration?) The Tapatillo in the slaw gives it a nice heat, which balances well with the sweetness of the pork. The corn tortillas bring it all together. Hint: Don’t skip on the Mexican sour cream. It has a tang that regular sour cream just cannot beat. Give it a try, and don’t forget to enter the contest below!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
By entering the contest, you are agreeing to our contest terms and conditions.
Makes 12 Tacos
Pork 3 lb Pork roast
28 oz can red enchilada sauce
small can green chilies
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon garlic salt
Slaw 1 package coleslaw mix (no dressing)
1/4 cup chopped Cilantro
1 cup Mexican Sour Cream (regular sour cream will work)
1 teaspoon Tapatillo
1/2 teaspoon Cumin
1/2 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
Juice of one lime
Salt to taste Pepper to taste
24 Corn tortillas
1. Add all ingredients for the pork barbacoa to the crock pot.
2. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low. (Will be done at 6, but you won’t over cook it at 8) Shred the meat with a pair of tongs right in the crock pot about 2 hours before serving.
3. Combine all slaw ingredients and then toss to combine.
4. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the tortillas on it. Warm the tortillas in the oven at 350 degrees for 5 – 10 minutes. Use two tortillas for each taco.
5. Place 3 tortillas (doubled up) on a plate.
6. Add about 1/4 – 1/3 cup pork to each tortilla.
7. Add about 1/4 – 1/3 cup slaw to each tortilla.
8. Garnish with cilantro and pickled jalapenos if you wish.
What do you love about shredded pork? Let us know in the comments!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.
10 thoughts on “Pork Barbacoa and 2015 Crock Pot Giveaway”
I like the convenience of cooking in slow cooker.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE PORK BARBACOA and Cafe Rio. Basically I love this. Because I can make it at home now!
And in the crock pot! But slow your horses a tad, lol. This is more of an “adjacent” recipe than a copycat, but it’s still really, really effing good! 😉 Now all I need is a fresh tortilla recipe AND a cilantro ranch recipe. (*wheels are turning…) Mmmm, Cafe Rio!
I like the variety of meals you can make and have ready at the dinner time
Love being able to make delicious meals for my family and thanks to the Reynolds bags now for the crockpot it makes it even easier to clean up! I like making beef stew, chilly a variety of things.
I enjoy walking away.
I love how easy both cooking and cleaning a crock pot is, and the fact that I can cook a meal that will last me all week! Thanks for the giveaway!
I like that I can set it and forget it. Also it’s great when say, you have to pick someone up at the airport and it takes 4 hours round trip, and you don’t want to cook when you get home!