Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon and Balsamic Vinegar
Brussel Sprouts: Everyone’s least favorite vegetable. We’re all thinking it, I’m just saying it. Brussel sprouts are the vegetable that makes kids hate vegetables. I was a fortunate child in that my parents never made me eat brussel sprouts. As I grew older, I started to wonder why people hated them so much. One day, my curiosity got the better of me, and I tried steaming up some of these little buggers. I was glad I had missed out on them. I decided that brussel sprouts and I were finished.
Years later, Crystal decided she wanted to cook brussel sprouts one night. I gave her a look that said, “if you hate me, you can just kick me in the shins and we’ll be done with it.” It turns out that Crystal liked those little green bombs. She told me she could prepare them in a way that I might just like them. She told me there was bacon in them, so I agreed, figuring that if they were as icky as I remembered I could just eat the bacon.
As it turns out, brussel sprouts aren’t that bad!I’m hoping those of you out there who don’t like brussel sprouts give these a try before you banish them from your kitchen for good.
Roasted Brussel Sprouts
1 bag Brussel Sprouts
1/4 pound Bacon
3 tablespoons Balsamic Vinegar
2 tablespoons Brown Sugar
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Wash the brussel sprouts, slice them in half, and add them to a medium sized bowl.
2. Chop the onion fairly coarse.
3. Add the onion and the balsamic vinegar to the bowl.
4. Add the brown sugar to the bowl.
5. Add the raw bacon to the bowl.
6. Mix the ingredients.
7. Add the mixture to a greased baking sheet.
8. Add the baking sheet to the oven, and bake for about 30-40 minutes, or until the brussel sprouts are cooked.
9. Serve hot and eat!
What’s one vegetable that you hated as a kid that you love now? Let us know in the comments!