Sweet and Spicy Pumpkin Seeds
Halloween is my favorite holiday because I’m a freak. Just kidding, but I’m a total fantasy nerd. I guess that’s probably why I love it so much. And I like all the disgustingly cute crafts and decorations people come up with. Pinterest is my play ground this time of year. I can feel you rolling your eyes, and that’s ok. I feel like rolling my eyes at the Pinterest freaks during Christmas time.
Last weekend Jeff and I carved Pumpkins. I think you know where this is going. We saved the seeds to roast in the oven for our Halloween party tonight. As you will recall, if you are an avid reader of SPF, we shared a recipe for Roasted Pumpkin Seeds. If you missed it last year, you should check it out. We also shared a recipe for an awesome Sweet and Spicy Walnut Glaze. So, we’re going to make like Dr. Frankenstein, and create a MONSTROSITY of a snack. (But it’s really tasty, so the word monstrosity is only for a spooky effect).
Sweet and Spicy Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Pumpkin seeds from 1 pumpkin (cleaned and dried)
2 tablespoons water
1/2 tablespoons garlic chili paste
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup light brown sugar
8 servings, 198 calories, 17.3 g fat, 7.3 g carbs, 6.8 g protein, 1.9 g dietary fiber
1. Combine all ingredients except the seeds in a small sauce pan.
2. Add the seeds to a bowl, coat with olive oil, salt, and pepper and set aside.
3. Bring to simmer. After sugar is dissolved, simmer for five minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
4. Place the nuts on a greased baking sheet, bake at 350 degrees for 20-30 minutes.
5. Pour warm liquid over the seeds and stir to coat.
6. Bake for 5 more minutes and then remove from the oven.
6. Let cool before eating. If you can’t wait, it’s not my fault if you burn your tongue.
That’s all there is to it for a frighteningly easy Halloween snack! We hope you enjoy this sweet and spicy twist on a classic favorite. Remember to stay safe out there while enjoying the Halloween season.
What’s your favorite Halloween treat? Let us know in the comments!
Crystal is the founder of Simply Playful Fare. She has been in the kitchen for as long as she can remember. She has a degree in English with an emphasis in creative writing.